Wednesday, February 22, 2012

WHAT IS YOUR “TOWEL DAY”?

by Fred Haley, DTM

Fred Haley, DTM
Wednesday, May 25th of every year is TOWEL DAY. I celebrate that day. Do you? Sometimes I even bring my towel to work.

What is Towel Day? It is a worldwide celebration of the science fiction classic, “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy” (also fondly known as H2G2). The towel has some significance in the book.

I loved reading the full series (five books in the “trilogy”). I even gave speeches about it (yes, my favorite number is 42), and have used it as the meeting theme when I was Toastmaster for the Day.

I am not obsessed with H2G2, but I do get excited when thinking and talking about it. There are other topics that also captured my interests, as, Toastmasters, shuttle launches, classic rock and traveling in the United States. I have given speeches and Toastmaster meeting themes for them, also.

I know that most people in the audience have never heard of the Hitchhikers Guide or Towel Day. I know many do not travel out of Florida, or go overseas instead.

When I give my speeches or have my meeting themes, however, I give them a brief glimpse into another world, and a different perspective on life. I don’t expect anyone to become committed fans of those topics. What I do accomplish is getting them a little excited about learning something new.

I do find that I need to do more research on my topics. I do not know everything about them. And what I do remember I make certain to verify. I recognize that it does take some time and effort to properly prepare, even if I think I already know my subject.

WHAT IS YOUR “TOWEL DAY?”

What are some of your special interests? What excites you? Have you talked about them in speeches? Have you used them as your meeting themes?

You probably think that no one will be interested in hearing about your favorite topics. If they were, they would have already mentioned it, or been involved in some way. Besides, your pursuits do not really make a difference to anyone. They would not change the world. They may not even be of major importance to you. They just make you smile, and stimulate some enthusiasm.

WAIT. Remember what the Competent Communication manual says about “speech purpose.” There are four types of general purposes: inform; entertain; persuade; inspire. Each speech achieves one or more of these.

Towel Day and H2G2 and some of my other interests are not major passions for me. I am not committed to them. They definitely will not change anyone’s world by knowing or not knowing about them. On the other hand, they are special to me.

It becomes my goal to inform and entertain my audience about my topic. Audience members and evaluators have said they enjoyed my presentations because they were unique, and because I sounded passionate. They became eager to hear more about the subjects. My energy and the different perspective added variety, and made the listeners more excited about their own pursuits.

WHAT TO DO NEXT?

We want to know more about your favorite topics. Will it be a speech or a meeting theme?

As you decide, ask yourself, “why is it special to me?” What do you enjoy about it?

Then, do some research. Everyone enjoys trivia. We will want to know the important background about the history of the subject, any major points or facts, and maybe the future. If it is a topic that could be familiar to us all, list several details that you can ask as trivia questions.

If you decide to present it in a speech, decide on the one main theme (point, lesson, message) that you want the audience to remember. Make it a general message relative to all. It can be informative, as, “now you know more about Towel Day,” or a call to action, as, “celebrate Towel Day with me.” Finally, build your speech around that topic. Use stories, and add your feelings. Add some quotes or facts to support the theme.

If you decide to use the topic as your Toastmaster meeting theme, the organization of your presentation will be different. Your main goal is to make the meeting exciting for your audience. You want to engage them and keep their attention. You will have up to five opportunities to talk about your subject, but you will only have about one minute to present much at any one time. One suggestion:

As you begin the meeting, explain your topic and how you were introduced to it.

Before introducing the first speaker, present some basic information or ask some trivia questions.

Before introducing the Topics Master, add more information, or ask more questions.

Before introducing the General Evaluator, continue to build on your topic.

Finally, before returning control to the presiding officer, summarize and close.



One additional tip: when I present a topic with trivia questions, I have printed “(Topic) TRIVIA EXPERT” certificates and awarded to audience members who seemed to have the most right answers. Remember, it is not an official award. Your main goal is to add excitement to the meeting.

Like all important skills, it takes time and practice. It is work, but it is fun. A good challenge is fun.

Write to me at Fred@ToastMentor.com if you want more help.

Until then – GRAB YOUR TOWEL!


Fred Haley, published author and speaker, has been a member of Toastmasters for over 12 years. Fred has earned two Distinguished Toastmasters awards. His web site, www.TOASTMENTOR.net is “Every Toastmaster’s first stop for advice and resources.” Fred publishes a weekly ToastMentor newsletter. Contact Fred at Fred@Toastmentor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Toastmasters Journey

By Barbara Kincade, DTM - Toastmasters at Twelve, Daytona Beach I never even heard about Toastmasters until I took the Dale Carnegie...