Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Priceless Opportunity

by Janelle Thomas, Area 14 Governor

Janelle Thomas
When 126 literary agents reject your book, you might consider throwing it in the trash. Not me. Somehow I knew I would see my novel, The Golddigger's Club, on store shelves. I can't explain why I thought it should be there, but after walking past it in Books-A-Million and Wal-Mart, it feels good to know that I was right.

The Golddigger's Club is about three dynamic friends and their relentless pursuit of money and status. They get into a lot of trouble along the way, but they have to decide what they're willing and not willing to do for money. Although it was a lot of work writing and editing the book, I enjoyed creating the story. It's been even more fun talking about it, especially to my fellow Toastmasters.

As I've shared my story with members in and outside of my club, I've learned that there are many of us with writing aspirations. Some are writing books while others have already published. The good news is that we're in the right place. We know that the purpose of joining Toastmasters is to improve public speaking and leadership skills. However, the direct effect of participating in this organization is that it helps us to grow in the way we deem fit.

Toastmasters has prepared me to speak with professionals and groups. In recent months, I've given manual speeches on my book in meetings, and the response has been very positive. The manual speeches have allowed me to not only hone my speaking skills, but also try out ideas before presenting them to the public. I determined which approaches will excite people and get them interested in my book. Club feedback showed me that people are interested in the connection between women, wealth, and society. Their input has been priceless.

When I first joined Toastmasters four years ago, I didn't know I would write a book, but I'm glad I took the initiative to cultivate a skill that would serve me in a number of ways. Sometimes, you find that the path from where you are to where you want to be zigzags and turns. You don't always know which way to go, and how long it'll take to get there, but making every effort to pick up valuable skills along the way will help you navigate your path more effectively. So, when the time comes to use them, you'll be glad that you put those extra tools in your tool box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Toastmasters Journey

By Barbara Kincade, DTM - Toastmasters at Twelve, Daytona Beach I never even heard about Toastmasters until I took the Dale Carnegie...