Saturday, November 12, 2011

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall...Who’s the Fairest Group of All?

by Mary Carol Holbert, ACS

Bob Haataia and Mary Carol Holbert
According to some sources at the Daytona Hilton, it’s District 84 Toastmasters!

Over the course of our District 84 “Once Upon a Time…A Fairy Tale Conference” in Daytona Beach, the Staff at the Daytona Hilton were extremely helpful. Whether we needed help from the bellmen, assistance at the front desk, detail confirmation with the Events staff, or service during one of our banquets, the people who took care of us
couldn’t have been nicer.

I saw more than one head turn when a parade of witches, fairies, gingerbread men, knights, princesses, kings, queens, Goldilocks, and big, bad wolves trekked from the North Tower to the Far, Far, Away South Tower. Staff smiles were plentiful, and good humor abounded.

In the evenings, some of the bellmen became our wait staff, spending even more time with us. Over the course of the weekend, we had many opportunities to interact with Hilton employees.

I was touched when, as I was leaving, my bellman said he recognized me from the conference. He laughed as he spoke about our Friday costumes, seeming to enjoy that we had such playful spirits, even while conducting what were obviously high-level Speech Contests.

Apparently, the Daytona Hilton hosts many groups, some of which are challenging to work with. However, according to my source, the staff consensus was that District 84 Toastmasters were thoroughly delightful. They enjoyed us being there. Their message?

“Please come back!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Toastmasters Journey

By Barbara Kincade, DTM - Toastmasters at Twelve, Daytona Beach I never even heard about Toastmasters until I took the Dale Carnegie...