Wednesday, November 16, 2011

From the Hot Seat: Words from a District 84 Roastee

by Scott Hoehn, DTM, Immediate Past District 84 Governor

Scott Hoehn, DTM, Roastee
“Scott, why don’t you relax in that nice comfortable chair we put up on the stage for you…buddy!”

Buddy??? Why not just give me a grenade and say “Hold this…we’ll be back in ten seconds!”

The annual Past District Governor Roast Luncheon USED TO BE my favorite part of the Fall conference. You give your best for a few years, only to have seven or eight of your former closest friends address all your faults…in front of 300 people!!!

Slams about business, aging, dating, procrastinating and more caused that comfy chair to get a bit toasty. HOWEVER, the saving grace was also traditional…the rebuttals.

Taking cheap shots (that’s all the budget allows for) at our new District Governor, the leadership team, Karl Righter and the rest of the roasters, I must say, helped the cool- down period.

The annual roast is always a blast to attend. It was truly an honor to be dis-honored in this laughter-filled tradition by some of my STILL closest friends.

If you have never attended a conference before, I implore you, don’t miss the next one.
You’ll have the time of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Toastmasters Journey

By Barbara Kincade, DTM - Toastmasters at Twelve, Daytona Beach I never even heard about Toastmasters until I took the Dale Carnegie...