Wednesday, January 11, 2012

CONTEST: Can You Name that Sci Fi TV Show or Movie?

Identify as many of the Sci-Fi References in Conference Chair Kathleen Kershaw’s Spring Conference promo, “Things to Come”, set out below. This is the speech she gave at the recent Toastmasters Leadership Institute in Orlando, and it’s chock-full of Sci Fi TV and Movie references.

Copy this speech, indicating as many of the references as you can identify. In order to get credit, put the TV or Movie title next to the reference.

The person who get the most correct answers will win a prize. If there is a tie, the first person to submit the tying number of correct answers will win the prize. Send your answers to: mcpro@toastmastersd84.org


THINGS TO COME

Kathleen Kershaw, WIB
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass – and I’m all out of bubblegum.

Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain. But you feel it. It is this feeling that has brought you here to me today.

This spring, you will take the Red Pill and follow me down the rabbit hole into the Twilight Zone.
Party like it’s Space: 1999 in Lake Mary, The Final Frontier.

We’re going Back to the Future, to boldly go where no Toastmaster has gone before.

Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things. Lucky for you, I’m a Toastmaster, not a Jedi.

Fellow Toastmasters, I control the vertical. I control the horizontal. I am the “Things to Come” conference chair. This is the conference you are looking for.

Submitted for your approval…

Friday May 18th, we kick off the festivities with movie trailers, a costume contest, and a show not to be forgotten. We’ll feast at Milliways’s The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. After dinner, Table Topics contestants will do battle with impromptu wits as sharp as a bat’leth.

In the evening, retire to 10-Forward and Quark’s bar. Enjoy complimentaryrefreshments such as Romulan Ale, Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters and jelly babies.

Saturday morning, Star Fleet Academy instructors will educate us with relevant and timely sessions, such as "How to build a time machine out of a DeLorean". Or possibly not. Help me Dennis Wooldridge, you're my only hope.

After class, return to Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe for lunch and edutainment. Later, relax in the movie room, where we’ll be screening sci-fi classics.

In the evening, don your finest formal wear as we watch the Intergalactic Speech contestants battle for honor.

Celebrate the victors at the Mos Eisley Spaceport Cantina. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious. Get your intergalactic passport now.

Resistance is futile.

I don’t want to hear you say you’ll “try”. Try not. Do or do not, There is no try.

Don’t Panic! Registration opens mid-March. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can bring order to District 84!

You’ll have so much fun you’ll say “I’ll be back.”

Remember, you are not a number, you are Toastmaster.

Hasta la vista, baby.

Live long, and Evaluate.

Dennis, Beam me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Toastmasters Journey

By Barbara Kincade, DTM - Toastmasters at Twelve, Daytona Beach I never even heard about Toastmasters until I took the Dale Carnegie...