Friday, May 22, 2015

The Vintner's Daughter

by Theodore J. Allman, ACS, ALB

There are only two seasons in Minnesota: winter and pothole repair, which is a local euphemism for summer. Since it was not yet summer, my 1960 Fiat Spider had sustained some damage to its undercarriage from one of these potholes. It was more like a cauldron hole. Because parts for a Fiat had to come from Italy, I was driving a “loaner” from the repair shop, a '50's something pea green station wagon.


By evening I was ready to collapse, but I had a date, ostensibly to celebrate the end of another school year. I got to Patti's house about 7 –  in my station wagon, where I was greeted by Frank. Normally I am not intimidated by meeting a potential father-in-law, but he wanted me to follow him into the basement. I might have been alarmed, but already sleep deprivation had diminished my resistance and caution.


However, he only wanted to show me his pet project – making wine. There were vats of fermenting mash and paraphernalia everywhere. I feigned interest and asked a few dumb questions when finally Patti called from upstairs. “Are you ready?” Oh yeah.


As we walked down the driveway, she asked, “Where's the Spider?” After proffering an explanation, she consented to get in, reluctantly.


We cruised around Minneapolis until we were thoroughly lost. By 3:00 in the morning, we finally found our way back to the right part of town and her house. There had been no petting or making out, but I still shook with apprehension as I pulled into her driveway. And sure enough, here comes Frank flailing his arms for me to wait for him.


The man had no concept of the hour. He only wanted me to take a crock of mash home. Since the hour hadn't disturbed him, I certainly didn't want to insult him by refusing to share his hobby. We lowered the back seat which provided a metal platform on which to place the 15 gallon crock of fermenting grape mash. Then I left for home, relieved.


The soporific drive lead to a predictable conclusion. BANG! I had fallen asleep, and veered into a very stout tree. My head struck the steering column and I was knocked unconscious. The inertial forces on the wine vat sent it sliding forward until it struck the back of the bench seat. A tsunami of grape mash inundated everything in front.


As I regained consciousness, my head was resting on the steering wheel with my gaze focused on the window ledge of the driver's door – on a grape. In my confused state, I figured it must be my eye. I reached out for it and was trying to put it back in the socket, when the policeman appeared at my window and asked if I had been drinking.


I was befuddled. Here I was trying to restore my sight when he wanted to know if I had been drinking. Of course, I didn't realize the whole car smelled like a brewery, or what it must have looked like to see me pressing a grape into my bloody face. He wanted to see me walk and was kind enough to open the door for me. As my only support was removed, I tumbled to the ground and lapsed back into unconsciousness. I was next aware of someone yelling profanities at me, accusing me of damaging her beautiful tree. I laid there absorbing verbal abuse until the ambulance arrived and rescued me.


 After getting my broken nose temporarily set at the hospital and few hours of R and R, I was allowed to leave, but not before answering a few innocuous questions from my friendly police officer who had been waiting all this time. He was sure he could get me on a DUI, but an intern assured him that the only alcohol was on me, not in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Toastmasters Journey

By Barbara Kincade, DTM - Toastmasters at Twelve, Daytona Beach I never even heard about Toastmasters until I took the Dale Carnegie...