Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Speakers Bureau Spotlight: Colette Butler

by Ellen Little, Public Relations Officer

Colette Butler
Spring Conference - 2012, I was “involved” in the planning and the conference in ways that I had never been before. And then another wonderful thing happened. I got to meet one of our powerful Toastmasters that is a part of the speakers bureau. She was just as energetic as she could be; anxiously waiting for the time when she would be on stage to perform. I was getting energized just being around her.

I didn't get a chance to “know” Colette very well in the limited time that we had together, but her message was loud and clear. Her true gifts were evident. Her love, gift and passion is SPEAKING and assisting fellow human beings, from every advantage and disadvantage.

After finding out more about Colette, (I have to be honest, I stalked her a little ) her extensive background in the field of homelessness, poverty, recovery, community service, and social service has allowed her to speak on economic empowerment, and saving, employment, living within one's means, motivation, enlightenment, and other areas of enrichment to prosper in life. Her knowledge of public speaking, business organization, and collaborative ventures has allowed her to assist many in activating new avenues for their enrichment and betterment. What a wonderful role model for all Humans! Not to mention a role model in Toastmasters; giving back is truly one of the gifts we give and receive.

Thankfully, I was appointed as the Public Relations Officer for District 84. I felt like this was a divine intervention, in getting me closer and more involved with individuals like Colette. After seeing her perform in her first District Conference International Speech Contest, I knew this was someone that I needed to get to know better.

I was intrigued about her televised talk show that she co-hosts in Jacksonville, FL. She wrote in her bio “I was selected as a co-host because they liked my posture, verbiage, confidence, and vocal variety. These are things that Toastmaster taught and helped me with”. I thought well, gee, she must have been in Toastmasters forever in order to obtain those skills, practice and obviously “knock it out of the park”, so to speak. As I read further in our correspondence, she replied to my offer of help,”I'm enjoying being a part of a distinguished and motivating organization, and I've had a privilege and honor to represent Toastmaster. My 1st year has been a GREAT success”.

First Year??!!?? First Year… really? Here is someone that knows what she wants. She went on to explain her accomplishments in just her first year of Toastmasters, and how it has affected her life and her business. Colette had a plan! One encounter with Colette and you'll know what a great role model she is for Toastmasters and her communities alike.

My goal this year is to really showcase our great speakers and role models throughout our organization; to provide access for great individuals like Colette to receive the wonderful gifts that Toastmasters provides; and to let the world know what Toastmasters can do for individuals, corporations and communities. If you are interested in meeting Colette, she is right there in Jacksonville, and is on all the social media channels for you to explore. Of course, you can always find her and many others on the Speakers Bureau Page. In the months to come I hope to showcase all the powerful individuals on the speakers bureau; if nothing else you'll get to know some really awesome people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Toastmasters Journey

By Barbara Kincade, DTM - Toastmasters at Twelve, Daytona Beach I never even heard about Toastmasters until I took the Dale Carnegie...