Sunday, September 18, 2011

Interview with our Lieutenant Governor of Marketing, Dee Melvin, DTM

ST - Why did you want to be the District 84 Lieutenant Governor of Marketing?
Dee Melvin, DTM
Dee - Toastmasters has given me so much and I thought this would be a way to give back. Also I am passionate about Toastmasters and this gives me another opportunity to promote and represent our organization.

ST - What are your personal goals for this experience?
Dee - My personal goals are to learn and grow as much as possible. A Past District Governor tells me that I will get over being nervous at some point and I always ask him “when”.

ST - Describe a typical day for yourself.
Dee - I always try to have a balanced day that allows time for Toastmasters and family. Now that I'm retired I don't have to make time for a career. I have to admit I'm not always successful. I know there are days my husband, Ken feels neglected. I am thankful he is so supportive of my Toastmaster addiction.

ST - Tell me the story of how your chose your Toastmasters career path?
Dee - I can honestly say I did not choose Toastmasters a Toastmaster chose me. My friend, Debra Levy, asked me to join and would not take “no” for an answer. Those who know me know I have an inability to say “no”. I finally joined just to get her to quit asking. I never had any intention of ever giving a speech. I thought everyone in the club was just a little nuts. After all, who would want to torture themselves that way? All I can say is “Thank you Debra. Look at me now.”

ST - Do you think District 84 members have certain expectations of you? What do you think they are?
Dee - I think the members expect me to do the job they elected me to do to the best of my ability. I also believe they expect me to help lead the District to President's Distinguished. That is a very tall order, but the District leadership is working hard to accomplish that goal.

ST - Would you read the book before or after seeing the movie? Why?
Dee - I always like to read the book first. Sometimes the movie does not live up to the book and is a disappointment. If you read the book first, you will always have had that enjoyment. I just read The Help and then went to see the movie. I'm glad I read the book first.

ST - If you were written about in the newspaper, on the front page, what would the headline say?
Dee - Dee Melvin, Toastmasters Lieutenant Governor Marketing – who would have believed it. She was always so shy.

ST - If you could have a $10,000 shopping spree to one store, which store would it be and how long would it take you to spend the $10,000?
Dee - I would use it for a down payment on a BMW for my husband. It would take me about 30 seconds.

ST - What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What's holding you back?
Dee - I would love to go to Australia. The reason I have not is it is just so darned expensive.

ST - Would you bungee jump?
Dee - Never. After all I am the person the Air Force had to help over a fear of heights just so I could stay in.

ST - How would you describe yourself in three words?
Dee - Motivated, Passionate and Determined

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Toastmasters Journey

By Barbara Kincade, DTM - Toastmasters at Twelve, Daytona Beach I never even heard about Toastmasters until I took the Dale Carnegie...